Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Hate vs. Indifference {Question #3}

Welcome to the series where I answer open ended questions from a quiz I found on Tumblr. They are a great opportunity for me to share bits and pieces about myself on the blog.

Today's question is:

Is there anyone close to you that you know you can't trust?


There was a situation not too long ago with a person who was a friend of mine who I always knew I shouldn’t trust, but still did. That situation spiraled completely out of control, and ended up very badly for a number of people. That person and I are no longer friends.

Since then, I try to be more careful about who I’m friends with. I don’t want to end up in a situation like that again. There are people I wouldn’t tell my deepest secrets to, of course, but all the people closest to me are people I trust.

Recently, I saw someone online say “Hate is too strong an emotion to waste on those you don’t like.” At first it made me mad, because I knew that person was trying to invalidate someone who said they hated them, but then I thought about it a little more. There is a very, very small number of people who I would say I legitimately hate. And the reason I hate those people is that I did like them once. I liked them, and they screwed me over, and made me hate them.

So I completely agree. Hate IS too strong an emotion for those you don’t like. Most of the time, my negative response to someone is just indifference. It’s only hate because I liked them once.


Sorry, that was kind of a tangent. To answer the actual question, there are some people close to me that I wouldn’t trust with certain information, but I try not to be close to people who I really can’t trust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment