Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Firefly

This review is written assuming that you already know the basic premise of the show and are now deciding whether or not to give it a try. If you don't know that much, here is it's Wikipedia page.

Last fall, I finally started watching the cult classic, Firefly. I had heard of it a long time before, and had been curious about it. It was not until a friend of mine started watching it, and kept telling me that I should watch it that I took the plunge. Here is my reaction.

Firefly had some great elements. I was not a huge fan of the main premise, the whole space cow boy thing, but most of the story lines were pretty good. I especially liked the way the main plot arcs were set up. The witty dialogue, which is one of Joss Whedon (the creator)'s strong points, is especially good.

The weaker points, like some of the characters, and some of the smaller story arcs, are things that I would strongly hold against the show. I think that when watching this show it is important to remember it's story. Even though it only has one season (only 14 or 15 episodes I think), more were planned. Many of the unexplained elements would have likely become much clearer if they had not been canceled so soon.

I enjoyed this show, though it is not one of my very favorites. If you like futuristic sci-fi stories, you might want to try this one out. Even if you are only lukewarm about it, it's not like there is much of a commitment, considering there is only one short season.

This show has pretty broad appeal age wise. My 11 year old sister enjoyed most of it. You should know that there are several episodes that feature Reavers, people that gone crazy, and self mutilate and have resorted to cannibalism. There is also one episode with several torture scenes.

One of the main characters is a "Companion," which is basically a glorified prostitute. Her work features in several episodes, and other crew members make crude jokes about it regularly.

Overall, I would recommend this show to most people. I know that is not for everyone, but I think it is worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment