Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Divergent - Veronica Roth

I recently just read Divergent for the second time. I absolutely love this book (and its sequel, which I will review very soon), and I am excited to talk about it.

I don't really want to go with my normal book review pattern, but I will briefly go over my main topics, and then talk more about some other things. The characters are good, especially the main character. They are less fleshed out the farther you go out from the core, but that is expected. There are a lot of characters, so I can understand that, especially considering none of them are bad at all.

The writing is good, but not totally amazing. It is by no means bad, and I enjoyed it, but it's also not the best writing ever.

Now, this is where I am going to go off my usual plan. The plot is terrific. It is what I really love about this book. I loved it from the very beginning, and continued to through out, which does not always happen. Often, I will like the original premise, but then I don't like where it leads. With Divergent, that never happened. Everything that happened made sense, even if I did not expect it. Nothing came totally out of the blue, but many things surprised me.

I have very few complaints about this book, but here they are:

1. It's in the present tense the entire time. I don't know about you, but this is not a trend that I like. I remember the Hunger Games was one of the first books I ever read that was written this way, and it was extremely distracting. I don't notice is so much now, but I still find it annoying.

2. Characters changing names. Not to be too spoilery, but at one point, a character is revealed to be someone else, and from that point on, he is called by his real name. Now, I have no particular complaints about this other then that the transition seemed a bit awkward.


While I was Googleing this book to get to the Amazon page to link here, I learned some news that I am not so excited about. They are currently filming the movie. Yeah. I know I am supposed to be more excited, but when ever they make a movie of a book I absolutely love, I have a hard time being excited (except for The Great Gatsby, I am incredibly excited for that one). I plan on doing a whole post about why that is in the next week or two

So there you go. Divergent. I will review Insurgent very soon. Also look for my post about the transition from book to movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment